The Lee University Tennis teams finished the Gulf South Conference portion of their schedules Saturday morning against Delta State University at the DeVos Tennis Center. The Lady Flames were defeated 5-2, while the Flames fell 5-1.
The Lady Flames (3-11, 2-7 GSC) carried a 2-1 lead into the singles competition. Tonya McGraner and Maclain Yowarsky downed Sophia Luisa Niemeyer and Hidemi Mayeshiro, 8-2, at No. 1 doubles. Kelsey Lovingood and Annie Sandberg were 8-6 winners over Sara Alvarez-Rubio and Hiristina Koceva. Jodie Rice and Krista Good dropped the No. 2 doubles match, 8-3, to Alex Howe and Katharina Assmann.
Delta State (5-10, 3-5 GSC) claimed 4-of-6 singles matches to earn the win. Howe defeated Yowarsky 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2 singles. Mayeshiro was a 6-3, 6-2 winner over Sandberg. Assmann won both sets by a 6-1 score against Rice and Koceva won the No. 6 singles match 6-2, 6-4 over Morgan Friedlander.
The No. 1 and No. 5 singles matches were unfinished. McGraner won her first set over Niemeyer, 6-4, and was leading 4-1 in the second set when the team-match was decided. Good lost a first-set tie-breaker 7-3 to Alvarez-Rubio and trailed 3-1 in the second set.
The Flames (1-12) finished the GSC season with a 1-7 mark, while No. 43 Delta State improved to 4-3 and 6-6 overall.
Delta State swept the doubles matches with Leon Smart and Arthur Berthiaux defeating Richard Gamble and Daniel Hardesty, 8-2, at the No. 1 spot. Alberto Calle and Westley Lemke fell 8-3 to Florian Mondoloni and Guillaume Lacour. Kevin Tan and Vincent Audy were on the downside of the same margin to Clement Depreeuw and Sebastien Rajaonary.
The Statesmen claimed two of the three finished singles matches. Smart tallied matching 6-1 scores against Calle at the No. 1 position. Mondoloni won his first set 6-1 before an ailing Gamble retired the match.
Audy took down Depreeuw 6-2 and 6-1 at No. 5 singles to give Lee a team point.
In the unfinished matches, Hardesty won 6-2 in the opener and trailed Berthiaux 5-3 in the second set. Tan was down 4-2 after losing the first set 6-3 to Lacour and Lemke had split the first two sets with Rajaonary.
Lady Statesmen 5,
Lady Flames 2
1. Tonya McGraner (LU) vs. Sophia L. Niemeyer (DSU) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
2. Alex Howe (DSU) def. Maclain Yowarsky (LU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Hidemi Mayeshiro (DSU) def. Annie Sandberg (LU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Katharina Assmann (DSU) def. Jodie Rice (LU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Krista Good (LU) vs. Sara Alvarez-Rubio (DSU) 6-7 (3-7), 1-3, unfinished
6. Hiristina Koceva (DSU) def. Morgan Friedlander (LU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Tonya McGraner/Maclain Yowarsky (LU) def. Sophia L. Niemeyer/Hidemi Mayeshiro (DSU) 8-2
2. Alex Howe/Katharina Assmann (DSU) def. Jodie Rice/Krista Good (LU) 8-3
3. Kelsey Lovingood/Annie Sandberg (LU) def. Sara Alvarez-Rubio/Hiristina Koceva (DSU) 8-6
1. Leon Smart (DSU) def. Alberto Calle (LU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Florian Mondoloni (DSU) def. Richard Gamble (LU) 6-1, retired
3. Daniel Hardesty (LU) vs. Arthur Berthiaux (DSU) 6-2, 3-5, unfinished
4. Kevin Tan (LU) vs. Guillaume Lacour (DSU) 3-6, 2-4, unfinished
5. Vincent Audy (LU) def. Clement Depreeuw (DSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Westley Lemke (LU) vs. Sebastien Rajaonary (DSU) 6-3, 3-6, unfinished
1. Leon Smart/Arthur Berthiaux (DSU) def. Richard Gamble/Daniel Hardesty (LU) 8-2
2. Florian Mondoloni/Guillaume Lacour (DSU) def. Alberto Calle/Westley Lemke (LU) 8-3
3. Clement Depreeuw/Sebastien Rajaonary (DSU) def. Kevin Tan/Vincent Audy (LU) 8-3