CHATTANOOGA — The Lee University men’s tennis team jumped up a level to take on NCAA Division I University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Wednesday afternoon at the UTC Tennis Courts. The Flames (1-11) exited with a 7-0 loss to the Mocs (6-10).
UTC earned a team point by sweeping the doubles competition. Westley Lemke and Alberto Calle fell at No. 2 doubles to Luke Saunders and Gino Delavalle, 8-3. Austin Boaz and Derrick Brown held off Kevin Tan and Vincent Audy to win 8-6. Richard Gamble and Daniel Hardesty were edged 8-7 by Pavels Grigorjevs and John Peacy at the No. 1 spot.
Peacey gave Chattanooga a 2-0 lead with a 6-0, 6-0 defeat of Tan at No 4 singles. Brown dropped two games to Andre Ishida at No 6 singles and Grigorjevs clinched the team win with a 6-0, 6-2 mark over Calle.
Hardesty took five games from Delavalle at the No. 3 spot and Gamble fell 6-1, 6-2 to Saunders. Audy won his first set against Boaz, 6-3. Boaz forced a final set with a 6-0 score in the second set and outlasted Audy 10-6 in a super tie-breaker to earn the point.
The Flames return to Gulf South Conference action on Friday when they host Delta State University at 1 p.m.
1. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Alberto Calle (LU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Luke Saunders (UTC) def. Richard Gamble (LU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Gino Delavalle (UTC) def. Daniel Hardesty (LU) 6-3, 6-2
4. John Peacey (UTC) def. Kevin Tan (LU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Austin Boaz (UTC) def. Vincent Audy (LU) 3-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Derrick Brown (UTC) def. Andre Ishida (LU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Pavels Grigorjevs/John Peacey (UTC) def. Richard Gamble/Daniel Hardesty (LU) 8-7
2. Luke Saunders/Gino Delavalle (UTC) def. Westley Lemke/Alberto Calle (LU) 8-3
3. Austin Boaz/Derrick Brown (UTC) def. Kevin Tan/Vincent Audy (LU) 8-6