It’s Super Bowl Sunday and many potential parishioners will probably be found in front of big-screen high-definition televisions munching on all kinds of snacks while they yell for the team of their choice.
Although the Tennessee Volunteers are not playing in the game, the contest has taken on the feel of a Tennessee football Saturday.
Former Vols quarterback Peyton Manning is once again wearing orange as he leads the Denver Broncos against the Seattle Seahawks with the local folks hoping to cheer the Tennessee legend on to his second Super Bowl title.
Area Cleveland Daily Banner readers appear to be on the Peyton bandwagon, and are overwhelmingly picking him to lead his Broncos to the championship.
Here, with our thanks for their participation, are some of our readers’ predictions and comments as they posted them on the Banner’s Facebook page:
- Elaina Presley Harris Bunch picks the Bronco’s 24-10.
- Tammy Scoggins Leatherwood goes with Peyton and Denver, 31-24.
- Johnny Mull says Manning will have 300 passing yards, three touchdowns and one interception on the way to a 27-20 win.
- Buddy Dilbeck says he doesn’t care what the score is “as long as Peyton gets his second ring.”
- Lori Woods thinks “the commercials will be better than the game.”
- Andy Lockhart IV picks the Broncos by a field goal.
- Stan Clark goes with the Broncos 28-10, with hopes “the cold weather doesn’t mess things up.”
There was also some in-depth analysis offered.
- Larry Mitchell said his co-workers believe it will be a contest between an old-school quarterback (Manning) and a new-school quarterback (the Seahawks’ Russell Wilson). “Peyton will have a tough challenge against the Seattle defense, but it’s old school all the way!”
Two of our respondents think this will be Manning’s shining hour.
- Jamie Albritton predicts “Peyton will have his best game ever and the Broncos will win, 31-13.”
- Debbie Hughes Kisner said Manning will take the Broncos “to the greatest finish line we have seen” adding it is good to see a Tennessee Vol do so well.
Despite the Manning/Broncos tidal wave, there are a few who foresee a Seattle victory.
- James G. Death says the Seahawks will trump the Broncos 23-17 in overtime. “Manning and the Denver offense will have a good game, as will Seattle’s defense. Seattle’s offense will prove to be too much for Denver’s defense.”
- Brandon Fleming says Denver “is going to fall apart against [Seattle’s] defense.”
While predictions on the score range from close to blowout, at least two of our readers went with predictions that are probably safe bets.
- Lori Brown’s prediction of “It’s gonna be cold” is one of two almost-certain likelihoods for Sunday’s super fans.
- Debbie Moore, like so many others, is sure she’s “going to eat way too much, and one team will score more points than the other team.”
And, one of our readers seemed to find the best reason to watch a Super Bowl.
- Donna Montgomery: “I predict a good time with friends!”