While we don’t know everything that is to transpire, there are some good things headed our way in 2014. Here is a list of what is hoped will at least get started this year for the Greenway.
In no particular order of priority or time:
1. Phase 6: Discussions and plans have been underway for some time on Phase 6, the stretch of the Greenway between Inman and Willow streets. Portions of the approximate quarter-mile stretch have been committed to the project and it’s possible there could be some site work this year.
2. Fourth Restroom: Property has been deeded and plans are in place to build a fourth restroom along the Greenway near the Church of God International Offices. It will mirror the restroom recently opened at Raider Drive Park.
3. Groundbreaking of Ocoee Connector: Last summer the Greenway received a substantial grant from the state of Tennessee to extend the Greenway east from Tinsley Park to North Ocoee Street. While a lot of the preliminary planning process comes from the state level, and on their timing, things are looking good for the first portion to begin this year.
4. Expansion of Raider Drive Park: An announcement is forthcoming on a new addition to the Raider Drive Park. It will be exciting and will further advance the community-friendly atmosphere of the area.
5. Connection from Spring Creek: Currently, a quarter-mile spur of the Greenway is located between 20th Street and the Spring Creek Town Homes. The spur tunnels under 25th Street at the future Veterans Park location. A new Hardee’s to be built near Spring Creek has plans to work with the Greenway, allowing a connection from the Veterans Park. Hopefully, this connection will also connect the hundreds of families living in Sullivan Addition.
6. Northern Connections: With the ribbon cutting last month of an extension of the Greenway at Mohawk Drive, possibilities for further connections northward will be explored. Already, this new one-fifth of a mile has proven to be a convenient asset for residents living off of Village Green Drive.
7. Interactive Sculptures: Public art on the Greenway has become a popular aspect of the linear park. In 2013, a second interactive piece was placed at Tinsley Park. In 2014, the hope is that a third piece will be placed, either at the Mohawk Trailhead or at the future restroom location.
8. Friends of the Greenway: For years, the Greenway board has talked of establishing a group tentatively called “Friends of the Greenway.” With the completion of nonprofit status for the Greenway coming in 2014, the door is open to invite friends to plan events, make donations, fund projects and further promote the purposes of the Greenway.
While the above eight items are exciting and intriguing, the list will likely increase as the support for our Greenway has been constant and growing over the last several years.
Bring it on in 2014!
Facebook: The Greenway