President Robin Ramsey invites anyone who may be interested in joining to attend this meeting.
Ramsey said, “The meeting will be a meet and greet, as we have several ladies who have shown an interest in UDC. We also will install officers and present membership certificates to our newest members.”
The United Daughters of the Confederacy was organized in Nashville on Sept. 10, 1894, by founders Caroline Meriwether Goodlett of Nashville and Anna Davenport of Georgia, making it the oldest patriotic organization in the country.
Membership is open to women no less than 16 years of age who are blood descendants, lineal or collateral, of men and women who served honorably in the Army, Navy or Civil Service of the Confederate States of America or gave material aid to the cause.
The objectives of the organization are historical, educational, benevolent, memorial and patriotic:
- To collect and preserve the material necessary for a truthful history of the War Between the States and to protect, preserve and mark the places made historic by Confederate valor.
- To assist descendants of worthy Confederates in securing a proper education.
- To fulfill the sacred duty of benevolence toward the survivor of the sar and those dependent upon them.
- To honor the memory of those who served and those who fell in the service of the Confederate States of America.
- To record the part played during the war by Southern women, including their patient endurance of hardship, their patriotic devotion during the struggle and their untiring efforts during the postwar reconstruction of the South.
- To cherish the ties of friendship among the members of the Organization.
Members can assist interested parties with their UDC applications and documentation gathering.
Ramsey said she is excited about this upcoming year, getting together with current and prospective members and to plan the new year of programs and projects.
For further information about the regular meeting, contact Robin Ramsey at 423-479-4812 or visit the Chapter website at www.udcjeffersondavischapter900.com.