Weather-permitting, 'Movies' to return Saturday night

By RICK NORTON
Posted 7/12/19

With the cooperation of an occasionally cranky Mother Nature, "Movies in the Park" returns to Greenway Park this weekend with a showing of the family-friendly film, "Christopher Robin."The outdoor …

This item is available in full to subscribers

Weather-permitting, 'Movies' to return Saturday night

Posted

With the cooperation of an occasionally cranky Mother Nature, "Movies in the Park" returns to Greenway Park this weekend with a showing of the family-friendly film, "Christopher Robin."

The outdoor showing — which is free to the public — will get started Saturday at about 9 p.m., according to Kaiti Chandler, chair of the Community Foundation's Emerging Leaders Council.

“We encourage everyone to pack up your chairs and blankets, and gather your family to watch a movie under the stars on a giant screen,” she said.

In keeping with the literacy theme of this month's movie, the Cleveland Bradley Public Library will present a story time and help families apply for a library card starting at 7 p.m. 

"Also, there will be a children’s book swap, so kids are encouraged to bring a storybook and swap it for another one they want to read," Chandler stressed.

"Christopher Robin" is a heartwarming tale of a young boy who loved embarking on adventures in the Hundred Acre Wood with a band of spirited and lovable stuffed animals, but who has grown up and lost his way. Now, it is up to his childhood friends — Winne the Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore and Tigger — to venture into the world and help Christopher remember the loving and playful boy who is still inside.  

A total of four family-friendly, recent box office hits are being presented this summer with something for everyone to enjoy.

The remaining movies include:

• Saturday, Aug. 3: "Spiderman Homecoming," with a Superhero theme. Kids are encouraged to dress as their favorite Superhero and there will be Superhero characters present for family pictures.

• Saturday, Aug. 10: "Ralph Breaks the Internet."

Concessions from Hungry Hippie and Kona Ice, along with popcorn and candy, will also be available for purchase on site beginning at 7 p.m. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent.

"Movies in the Park" is made possible this summer by a slew of civic-minded sponsors.

They include: 

• Presenting sponsor: Easy Auto;

• Premier sponsors: Blue Ridge Pulmonary–Dr. Ethan Rutledge, Cleveland Parks & Recreation, Mix 104, Ocoee Oral Surgery-Dr. Hunter McCord and Tennessee Valley Federal Credit Union;

• Major sponsors: Advanced Auto, May & May Dentistry, Publix and State Farm-Eric Evans;  and

• Supporting sponsors: Capital Tire, Dobbs’ Landscaping, Edward Jones-Cambridge Square, The Hungry Hippie, Kona Ice, Robbins Family Dental, Saylor See Creative Studio, United Community Bank and Wheeler's.

At present, the National Weather Service forecast for Saturday calls for a 60% chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms off and on throughout the day, and a 40% chance Saturday night.

Barrett said a decision on whether to postpone Saturday night's showing will be made as close to show time as possible, given the unpredictability of summer forecasting.

"In the event the movie needs to be postponed due to inclement weather, we will post an announcement on the Community Foundation Facebook page," she pointed out.

Through both hands-on charitable service and committee-based grant making, the Emerging Leaders Council provides a training ground for the future leaders of the Cleveland and Bradley County community's philanthropic and outreach efforts.

The Community Foundation of Cleveland and Bradley County is a public, nonprofit, community foundation where many donors join together to make the community they love a better place, today and for future generations. The Community Foundation is made up a collection of individual charitable funds established by individuals, families, businesses, and other nonprofits and foundations.

"The Community Foundation is committed to serving and understanding donor needs, handling complex charitable gifts, wisely managing charitable funds, and leveraging its community knowledge and partnerships to increase charitable impact," said Cathy Barrett, Community Foundation president.

To learn more about the Foundation and its many services, visit www.clevelandbradleyfoundation.org or contact Barrett at cbarrett@clevelandbradleyfoundation.org.


Inset Quote:

"Also, there will be a children’s book swap, so kids are encouraged to bring a storybook and swap it for another one they want to read." — Kaiti Chandler


Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

X

Print subscribers have FREE access to clevelandbanner.com by registering HERE

Non-subscribers have limited monthly access to local stories, but have options to subscribe to print, web or electronic editions by clicking HERE

We are sorry but you have reached the maximum number of free local stories for this month. If you have a website account here, please click HERE to log in for continued access.

If you are a print subscriber but do not have an account here, click HERE to create a website account to gain unlimited free access.

Non-subscribers may gain access by subscribing to any of our print or electronic subscriptions HERE