Two Bradley County Emergency Medical Services paramedics who were volunteering at the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Manchester were hospitalized Monday, after reportedly becoming ill due to a …
Two Bradley County Emergency Medical Services paramedics who were volunteering at the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Manchester were hospitalized Monday, after reportedly becoming ill due to a suspected carbon monoxide leak. In addition, two other paramedics were also sent to area hospitals for treatment.
According to The Associated Press, Coffee County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Lucky Knott said, “It appears the exhaust of a generator used to power a recreational vehicle they were staying in was blocked. One of the paramedics woke up Monday and was able to get help.”
According to the AP, three were airlifted to hospitals, while the fourth was transported to an area hospital.
The two Bradley County paramedics, Josh VanDusen and Ashton Hughes, are currently recovering at Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga, according to Stan Clark, deputy chief with the Bradley County EMS.
Clark told the Cleveland Daily Banner that a gasoline-powered portable generator next to the paramedics' RV was the source of the carbon monoxide leak. He said one paramedic awoke and alerted the others.
“Someone was awakened by an alarm,” Clark said. “That’s what saved their lives."
Three paramedics were transported to Erlanger and one to Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in Nashville.
One of the four has been released, according to Knott.
Clark said the Bradley County paramedics were volunteering their time at the festival during their off-duty time.
The CCSD also said that at least 37 festival attendees had been hospitalized as of Monday morning. In addition, Michael Donivan Craddock Jr., 32, of Mt. Juliet, was found dead in his car on the second day of the event, officials said.
Print subscribers have FREE access to clevelandbanner.com by registering HERE
Non-subscribers have limited monthly access to local stories, but have options to subscribe to print, web or electronic editions by clicking HERE
We are sorry but you have reached the maximum number of free local stories for this month. If you have a website account here, please click HERE to log in for continued access.
If you are a print subscriber but do not have an account here, click HERE to create a website account to gain unlimited free access.
Non-subscribers may gain access by subscribing to any of our print or electronic subscriptions HERE