To realize there are those among life’s children who never knew the love of a mother is not just heartbreaking, it is a tragedy.The love of a mother is like nothing else; yet, it is everything.The …
To realize there are those among life’s children who never knew the love of a mother is not just heartbreaking, it is a tragedy.
The love of a mother is like nothing else; yet, it is everything.
The love of a mother is a bond between those among the living; yet, its depth is everlasting.
The love of a mother can be mimicked; yet, it can never be replaced.
The love of a mother can be strained by the hurtful words of wayward children and their thoughtless ways; yet, the devotion in her heart remains unmoved.
The love of a mother comes free of charge; yet, the value of her counsel outweighs the breadth of a king’s ransom.
The love of a mother faces a mighty foe in matters of health and hurt and faith; yet, her warm embrace is the most trusted of cures.
The love of a mother is tested by the demands of time and place and distance; yet, the outreach of her heart knows no limits.
The love of a mother will bend under the burden of circumstance; yet, her purity of devotion remains unconditional.
Today is Mother’s Day, a holiday said by many to be the most precious of the year — not because of cards nor gifts nor cake, but because of the woman herself. She is the giver of life, the bearer of opportunity, the champion of potential.
It is always of great interest to read what others have said about the moms of this world. Some are sweet. Some are heartwarming. Most are spot on. And a few are funny, laced with a serving of love.
Allow us to quote from among the many:
• “Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs since the payment is pure love.” — Mildred B. Vermont
• “When your mother asks, ‘Do you want a piece of advice?’ It’s a mere formality. It doesn’t matter if you answer yes or no. You’re going to get it anyway.”
— Erma Bombeck
• “An ounce of mother is worth a ton of priest.” — Spanish Proverb
• “Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” — Marion C. Garretty
• “Mother: That was the bank where we deposited all our hurts and worries.” — T. Dewitt Talmage
• “God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.” — Rudyard Kipling
• “I can imagine no heroism greater than motherhood.” — Lance Conrad
• “When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” — Charley Benetto
• “Youth fades. Love droops. The leaves of friendship fall. A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” — Oliver Wendell Holmes
• “Nothing is really lost until your mom can’t find it.” — Unknown
• “A mother is she who can take the place of all others, but whose place no one else can take.” — Cardinal Mermillod
• “Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother.” — Oprah Winfrey
• “My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.” — Michael Jordan
• “Mothers can look through a child’s eyes and see tomorrow.” — Reed Markham
• “Acceptance, tolerance, bravery, compassion. These are the things my mom taught me.” — Lady Gaga
• “In the end, mothers are always right. No one else tells the truth.” — Randy Susan Meyers
• “Moms are like buttons. They hold everything together.” — Unknown
• “Life doesn’t come with a manual. It comes with a mother.” — Unknown
• “When you are a mother you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” — Sophia Loren
• “It’s not easy being a mother. If it were, fathers would do it.” — The Golden Girls
Special credit for these heartwarming thoughts goes to the website, “Shutterfly.tinyprints.” There are many more for those who wish to continue their Mother’s Day glow.
Most believe today is the perfect occasion for a gift, a meal or a rose.
We also believe this: It is a reason to celebrate life — to she who gives it, and to the rest of us who receive.
Print subscribers have FREE access to clevelandbanner.com by registering HERE
Non-subscribers have limited monthly access to local stories, but have options to subscribe to print, web or electronic editions by clicking HERE
We are sorry but you have reached the maximum number of free local stories for this month. If you have a website account here, please click HERE to log in for continued access.
If you are a print subscriber but do not have an account here, click HERE to create a website account to gain unlimited free access.
Non-subscribers may gain access by subscribing to any of our print or electronic subscriptions HERE