New Jetport taxi lane to give hangar space
by JOYANNA LOVE Banner Senior Staff Writer
May 23, 2014 | 700 views | 0 0 comments | 9 9 recommendations | email to a friend | print
THE CLEVELAND REGIONAL JETPORT will extend a taxi lane into this field, to open the site to future corporate hangars.  Banner photo, JOYANNA LOVE
THE CLEVELAND REGIONAL JETPORT will extend a taxi lane into this field, to open the site to future corporate hangars. Banner photo, JOYANNA LOVE

The Cleveland Regional Jetport is increasing its opportunities for corporate hangars by building a taxi lane to provide access to more of the property.

“We are going to start mobilization of the project by mid-July,” said Jetport Director of Operations Mark Fidler. “It will connect with the apron [the paved area in front of the terminal] and allow this portion of property … to be accessible and utilized by corporate hangars.”

Individual corporate hangars are constructed and paid for by the owners who lease the property from the Jetport.

“There are a couple of people that have expressed interest in it,” Fidler said. “People from as close as Chattanooga and here in town ... there are also other people [from out of state that have expressed interest].”

Once the corporate hangars are built, revenue will come to the city through fuel sales, leasing revenue and tax revenue.

The project is currently in the bid process and has been estimated to cost $750,000. Fidler said 95 percent of the project is being funded through a state grant to Tennessee from the Federal Aviation Administration. The remaining 5 percent will come from local revenue. The state committed revenue in last year’s budget.

Fidler said he would be discussing the project with potential contractors during a pre-bid meeting on Wednesday.

The meeting serves as a time for Fidler to explain the project in detail as well as expectations and regulations governing the project.

Jetport officials said the planned taxi lane will be 50 feet long and 35 feet wide.

The project will also include “the installation of storm drain piping/structures; conduit for future utility service lines; new 4-ft. perimeter chain link fencing; new automatic rolling driveway gate with controls; and a 24-ft. wide concrete access driveway with concrete curb,” according to the request for bids.

Needed utilities will also be run to the site.

The project will take about three months to complete.

The number of hangars or planes that will come to the Jetport as a result of the project will vary depending on the size of each hangar. Fidler said a preliminary drawing with a variety of hangars on the site could put 13 to 15 airplanes being housed on the site. Fidler said there is a minimum requirement size for corporate hangars of 50 feet by 40 feet. There is not a maximum limit for hangar space at the Jetport, according to Fidler.

Corporations new to the area may be among some of the new hangars built as a result of the taxi lane project. Fidler said the Chamber of Commerce provides information about the Jetport to corporations that are interested in coming to the area. After that, the corporation would contact Fidler and have a meeting to discuss them establishing a hangar at the Jetport.

Expanding the opportunity for corporate hangars has been a part of the plan for the Jetport since it was established a year ago, Fidler said.