The Lee University tennis teams defeated visiting Emmanuel College by matching 9-0 scores to hand head coach Tony Cavett his 299th and 300th coaching victories.
Cavett's record now stands at 300-249 overall. He holds a 146-136 record with the Flames and is 154-113 with the Lady Flames.
The Lady Flames improved to 4-11 and the Flames moved to 2-12.The Lady Flames have three matches remaining on their regular season schedule, while the Flames stand at one. The Lady Flames travel to take on Brenau University Tuesday and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Thursday before returning home with the Flames to entertain Auburn University at Montgomery April 16.
The Flames (2-12) took little time to build a 3-0 lead following the doubles competition. Alberto Calle and Westley Lemke blanked Austin Spivey and David Forehand at No. 2 doubles. Kevin Tan and Vincent Audy recorded the same result against Cody Norris and Nicholas Martin. Richard Gamble and Daniel Hardesty held off Pasha Zinchenko and Joaquin Marshall to post an 8-5 win at the No. 1 spot.
In five out of six singles matches, Lee tallied straight-set wins. Gamble dropped just two games to Marshall and Hardesty did the same with Spivey. Audy won both sets against Forehand by a score of 6-2. Tan and Lemke did not drop a game in defeating Norris and Black, respectively.
Calle beat Zinchenko 6-4 in their opening set. Zinchenko forced a third and deciding set with a 6-3 second set decision. Calle earned the team point with a 10-7 super-set.
LADY FLAMES 9,
The Lady Flames took little time to defeat the shorthanded Lady Lions (3-7). Emmanuel contested the match with four individuals. As a result, Lee entered the match holding default wins at No 3 doubles, No. 5 singles and No. 6 singles.
Tonya McGraner and Maclain Yowarsky took down Christianne Tetley and Oliva Gish, 8-2. Kelsey Lovingood and Annie Sandberg put Lee over the top with its match-clinching point with an 8-4 margin over Madalena Fausto and Jaclyn Klerk.
Lee won all four completed singles matches in straight sets. McGraner was a 6-1, 6-0 victor over Tetley. Yowarsky won both sets over Gish by 6-3 scores. Sandberg and Good defeated Fausto and Klerk, respectively, by matching 6-0, 6-1 marks.
Lady Flames 9,
Lady Barons 0
1. Tonya McGraner (LU) def. Christianne Tetley (EC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Maclain Yowarsky (LU) def. Oliva Gish (EC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Annie Sandberg (LU) def. Madalena Fausto (EC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Krista Good (LU) def. Jaclyn Klerk (EC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Morgan Friedlander (LU) def. No player (EC), by default
6. Christy North (LU) def. No player (EC), by default
1. Tonya McGraner/Maclain Yowarsky (LU) def. Christianne Tetley/Oliva Gish (EC) 8-2
2. Kelsey Lovingood/Annie Sandberg (LU) def. Madalena Fausto/Jaclyn Klerk (EC) 8-4
3. Krista Good/Jodie Rice (LU) def. No player/No player (EC), by default
Lady Barons 0
1. Alberto Calle (LU) def. Pasha Zinchenko (EC) 6-4, 3-6, 10-7
2. Richard Gamble (LU) def. Joaquin Marshall (EC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Daniel Hardesty (LU) def. Austin Spivey (EC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Kevin Tan (LU) def. Cody Norris (EC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Vincent Audy (LU) def. David Forehand (EC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Westley Lemke (LU) def. Hayden Black (EC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Richard Gamble/Daniel Hardesty (LU) def. Pasha Zinchenko/Joaquin Marshall (EC) 8-5
2. Alberto Calle/Westley Lemke (LU) def. Austin Spivey/David Forehand (EC) 8-0
3. Kevin Tan/Vincent Audy (LU) def. Cody Norris/Nicholas Martin (EC) 8-0