College Goal Saturday is a one-day event designed to help families of college-bound students take the first step in applying for college by providing free information and financial assistance for higher education.
Tennessee high school seniors and their parents/guardians are invited to attend the two-hour information session at any of the participating sites across the state. Financial aid experts will be on-hand at each site to guide students and parents through the Free Application For Federal Student Aid application process. They will also provide one-on-one information and question-and-answer sessions to benefit students and parents in different stages of the financial aid process.
The FAFSA form, used at colleges and technical schools nationwide, is a federally required form for students seeking financial aid, including grants, scholarships, and loans. It should be submitted by Feb. 1 to get the maximum aid available, even if the student has not selected a college.
Along with being the application for federal aid, the FAFSA form also serves as the application for the Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship and the Tennessee Student Assistance Award programs, making it vital to the post-secondary application process in Tennessee.
People attending College Goal Saturday need to bring the following items, if available:
• 2012 Federal Tax Return or other income documentation or bring 2011 Federal Tax Return
• Social Security number
• Driver's license (if any)
• 2012 W-2 Forms or year-end pay stubs and other year-end records of money received
• 2012 untaxed income records — Social Security, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, welfare, or veterans benefits records
• 2012 business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond, and other investment records
• Your alien registration card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
AND IF you plan on filling out the FAFSA online at the event also bring:
PIN number for the FAFSA. (Apply for your PIN number at www.pin.ed.gov).
Brenda DiSorbo, CSCC director of Financial Aid, said, “College Goal Saturday is a free program that provides an excellent opportunity for parents and students to get help in filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, the application for federal, state and lottery programs.”
For complete information on College Goal Saturday-Tennessee and the list of participating sites, call 1-800-342-1663 or visit the website at http://www.tn.gov/collegegoalsunday/locations.html.