BCHS duct fire causes evacuation
by GREG KAYLOR, Banner Staff Writer
Apr 26, 2013 | 810 views | 0 0 comments | 1 1 recommendations | email to a friend | print
By Traffic around Bradley Central High School was snarled Thursday afternoon prior to dismissal as firefighters rushed to the scene of a reported duct fire.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation, according to officials.

Just after 3 p.m., Cleveland Fire Department, Bradley County Sheriff’s Office and Bradley County Emergency Medical Service personnel rushed to the scene where a ventilation unit on the roof caught fire.

CFD Chief Steve Haun cited Commander Greg Hooper’s report stating the fire started in the cabinet shop at the rear of the school. Students and personnel had been evacuated by the time firefighters arrived.

Hooper noted that firefighters dismantled ductwork and extinguished the fire within 13 minutes of their arrival.

BCSO school resource officers arrived on the scene with other special operations deputies to help with traffic issues as school was dismissing, according to Bob Gault, media relations coordinator for BCSO.

Hooper indicated damage was confined to the duct system, two fan motors and a portion of the roof framework. There was also slight smoke and water damage.

BCEMS spokesman Stan Clark reported a teacher who had attempted to extinguish the fire suffered slight injury due to smoke inhalation.

“We responded one ambulance to the scene, treated the teacher and released him shortly after,” Clark said.

According to Hooper, officials determined the fire started when a fan motor failed, and caught dust and wood fibers in the ductwork on fire.

Damage was estimated at $28,000.